Friday, July 13, 2012

"Those who mind don't matter. And those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess.

Some people don't realize how much their words affect other people's lives, whether they're the victim, suspect, or bystander. Millions of kids & teens every day deal with the problem of name calling and insults. But too many of them are scared to speak up for themselves. I've seen it in the halls, heard it from conversations, and even been the insulter. We don't realize how little things like "retarded", "hoe", and "fat" offend people.


When I was in 8th grade, I remember thinking that the whole world was against me. I was 14 and I was dating a 17 year old. Many people looked down upon it, but I didn't care. I was called names every day for at least 3 months. Every day I'd go home and cry myself to sleep. I even tried to kill myself. I know that's dramatic, but that's what words can do to you. I was so lost in the world. Eventually, things got worse. Someone made a "Hoes List" in the girl's bathroom and I was #1. I'll never forget reading in and breaking down into tears. I'd never even done anything with the boy, so I didn't understand how people could be so judgmental. Things were said on Facebook and all through the school. I wanted nothing more than to be accepted. I lost all my friends, and all respect from my friends' parents. Even after the boy and I broke up, rumors were spread, words were slurred, and people were hurt. I stayed home from school one day because I wanted to catch up on some sleep (with all the stress, it was impossible). I ended up having at least 4 panic attacks because I let other people's words bother me too much, they put me in the hospital for a while. I thought my life was over because everyone was against me. Now, about 6 months later, people still bring it up. And I'm in the same situation now, but not as severe. No one should be treated with such disrespect. I've finally learned that you have to put your best foot forward and tell yourself you're better than that, because you are. If it wasn't for God, I would have never made it through this.

So be careful what you say to people, you never know what they're going through or what it does to them.

-Lexi Nolen

No comments:

Post a Comment