Saturday, September 15, 2012

I was severely bullied in elementary school, middle school, and my freshman year of high school. In elementary and middle school I sat alone on the bus. Most days the entire bus would be yelling insults and throwing things at me. Sometimes because I'm terrified of bugs, when they would find one they would kill it and smush it in my hair. When I rode my bike kids would spit on the seat, and when I walked they would drive by and yell at me to kill myself and sometimes they would throw things. I never had a friend in school and I didn't until I was a sophomore. When I was twelve I tried to kill myself, and I tried again several times in the next few years. I struggled with cutting for two years. During my sophomore year I went back to church... and there I met the people that changed everything. The people that were willing to walk into the darkness to pull me out. That summer I worked at SoulFest, and discovered the music of Phone Calls From Home and Aaron Gillespie. Not too long after that I found Beautiful Tuesday, the music of those bands got me through it. They have taught me so much about life and love that it's hard to imagine where I'd be without their music. They taught me that I am never alone and to never give up. That is my advice to anyone struggling, dont give up. Its harder than it sounds, but it's possible if you find the right people and music to fill your life. Music is much more powerful than most people believe. Keep holding on, keep hoping and please stay alive.

- Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment