Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hey Jayk, I am 100% against bullying and grew up being bullied by both boys and girls. I was the middle child with an older brother, sister and younger sister. Up until I was 5 yrs old I kept banging into walls and not seeing things on my left. My parents took me to MASS General Hospital to have me checked out to see what the problem was, the problem was I was blind out of my left eye and nothing could be done about it. My dad offered his eye for me but it would not do any good. My parents were told to bring me back at 18 yrs old and get a glass eye. After everyone found out I was blind I was treated different, I could just tell. The adults would whisper, oh the poor things and the kids would laugh at me and call me names, one eyed monster, cyclopse, egor and many more. It was tough, I had a few friends but always felt people stare at me, the eye stayed small red and the pupil was yellow, dead. For years I had no self consious and felt no one would ever want to be my friend. I used to compare myself to other boys my age and always felt ugly compared to them. My grandmother once told me if you were as good looking as your brother maybe you too could find a pretty girl to go out with you. I got called one eyed monster and other names by kids and used to get beaten up by kids through 8th grade, yes even girls. What was sucky is my brother was a jock and played every sport, very well. I am blind in my left eye and left handed, hand/eye coordination what is that? I have tried playing sports all through gradeschool and up, when it came time to pick sides for teams the last ones picked would be me and the kid on crutches and I was picked after him. My parents had 2 sons one who excelled at sports and the other who got laughed at and beat up because bacck then they said I threw and caught like a little girl. I used to envy so many popular kids for having friends and being liked. I had no self esteem didn't care what I wore or even if I combed my hair or took a bath sometimes. I dreaded going to school and even heard one teacher say, he is pretty pitiful and that damned eye doesn't help. I finally decided to fight back one night, not physically but by renewing myself. I wanted my Dad to be proud of me and so I persued new adventures. Believe me it took time, I still got called names but tried to ignore them and did for the most part. I joined the Drama Club and actually got a leading roll, wow they actually applauded me and I got an acting award. It wasn't easy but I moved on, in High school I joined a lot of clubs, talked to people, and made friends, the kids grew up also. I was still blind and the eye was looking worst and I still had some nasty people who made comments every now and then(they said they were joking) One moment that stands out in my mind is when I had a crush on a girl and my friend said he would introduce her to me. She was a cheerleader, smart, popular and beautiful, I knew I didn't stand a chance but still. The time came to meet her in the library and I was so nervous(almost like meeting Miss America) as we approached her my buddy said hi Joan I want you to meet George, she turned around and said hi, OH MY GOD!!!! look at his eye!!! Well that ended badly and I took off, never wanting to see her again. The story somehow got out and a lot of the jocks and jerks started with the Cyclopse name again, thank God it didn't last. Anyway I did get a glass eye at 21 yrs old got more confidence in my self and a lot of nice friends. I made my parents proud, In high school I was teenager of the month, Class Marshall for graduation, inlots of clubs and had fun. After my new eye I got confidence went to college, got picked out of 55 college students to do a summer Co/Op at DisneyWorld and attend Disney University and become a student Senator at 4 Cs. It took time for all this and I still feel self consious but you have to go on and help yourself. I still have days that I feel ugly and unwanted but that is just me and I just need to push those thoughts away. Being bullied sucks big time and I could tell so many,many more hurtful stories but lets end with something upbeat help yourself, get some help from trusted people and DO NOT give up on yourself because you can make it.
Life goes on and you're the driver. 


-George Duarte

No comments:

Post a Comment