Saturday, August 27, 2011

“The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say: if the culture doesn’t fit, don’t buy it.” These powerful words, spoken by author Mitch Albom’s favorite college professor in the book Tuesdays with Morrie, are not only inspirational, they are completely true. In magazines, TV, movies, and even in our schools we are constantly being reminded of the standard of beauty and how much we don’t measure up to it. In fact, not even most models can measure up to what we see since most media is edited for flaws. Not that that makes any of us feel any better, because sometimes our hardest critics are ourselves. No matter what the media says or what the bullies in school say, we need to realize our inner potential and radiate with confidence in ourselves. Being a teenager is all about discovering who you are and who you want to be. It’s a time to be uncomfortable with your growing body and unsure of your future. But that means you get to explore the possibilities of who you can be. Everyone experiences it, even the bullies.

I am lucky enough not to have been horribly bullied in school. Experiencing teasing was the most I’ve had to endure. But that doesn’t mean I don’t know what it feels like to be bullied. Worse, I feel as if I’ve let someone down. One of my biggest regrets in life so far happened in the beginning of high school while playing for the soccer team. Most of the girls on the team were very close to each other, only about 4 or 5 of us felt like outsiders. We never had good team chemistry as the girls who were very close embodied the typical “popular girl clique” and the rest of us were only included due to our love for the sport. One of us outsiders was changing in the locker room when the popular clique came strolling in and forced her into a locker. While most of the girls were taunting the girl inside the locker with rude comments and banging their fists against the metal door, another girl captured the whole tirade on her camera. I, being shy and moderately afraid of the popular clique, did nothing. Brimming with fury inside, I refused to acknowledge the popular girls as a part of my team, I would do what I needed to do to win a game, but no longer would I protect them as teammates should. How could I after what they did to one of my teammates? That night, I researched hazing and the consequences at my school. I talked with my parents about what I should do, since I did not witness the debacle (I heard of it from another teammate and later the girl that was hazed called it not a big deal and refused to make a scene of it) I was afraid the school administration would dismiss it because of lack of evidence. Due to my fear and shyness, I ended up not doing anything. But I should have been a voice. I hurt my teammate more than those bullies ever could – I could have spoken up and refused the culture my teammate was forced to buy. She thought these girls were her friends, she didn’t know friends don’t haze friends in this way. I could have spoken up and made an example out of these girls about how hazing is dangerous and 100% not tolerated. I let my teammate down – because if you aren’t a part of the solution, you’re a part of the problem.

Everyone is beautiful and special in their own way. We all have a talent unique to our self. Find your passion and stick with it. Writing, poetry, and music have been my therapy when I feel the world has turned against me. Find yours and don’t let anyone take that away. Be strong, have faith, and remember that you’re worth it. Someone else out there has it worse than we do, and it’s up to us to help them out. You are a voice, you are a blessing, you are something more.


-D. Pinaud

No comments:

Post a Comment